In accordance with N.J.S.A 18A:12-24.1 every Board member will abide by the following Code of Ethics. The Board member will:
1. Uphold and enforce all laws, rules and regulations of the State Board of Education and court orders pertaining to schools. Desired changes shall be brought about only through legal and ethical procedures.
2. Make decisions in terms of the educational welfare of children and seek to develop and maintain public schools that meet the individual needs of all children regardless of their ability, race, creed, sex, or social standing.
3. Confine his/her Board action to policy making, planning and appraisal, and help to frame policies and plans only after the Board has consulted those who will be affected by them.
4. Carry out his/her responsibility not to administer the schools, but together with fellow Board members, insure they are well run.
5. Recognize that authority rests with the Board of Education and make no personal promises nor take any private action that may compromise the Board.
6. Refuse to surrender his/her independent judgment to special interest or partisan political groups or to use the schools for personal gain or for the gain of friends.
7. Hold confidential all matters pertaining to the schools, which, if disclosed, would needlessly injure individuals, or the schools. In all other matters, he/she will provide accurate information and, in concert with fellow Board members, interpret to the staff the aspirations of the community for its school.
8. Vote to appoint the best-qualified personnel available after consideration of the recommendation of the chief administrative officer.
9. Support and protect school personnel in proper performance of their duties.
10. Refer all complaints to the chief administrative officer and act on the complaints at public meetings only after failure of an administrative solution.